When it comes to disposing of household waste such as electronics, furniture, or appliances, it is important to ensure that each item is disposed of in an environmentally responsible manner. Throwing furniture in your condo building’s dumpster or tossing electronics in your garbage bin is not only bad for the environment but it could also lead to a significant fine. As an environmentally friendly waste disposal company, Onestop Disposal is committed to ensuring that household waste is disposed of properly through our bin rentals or junk removal services. That is why we have compiled some responsible waste disposal tips to help you clear up space in your home while minimizing your environmental impact.
How to Responsibly Dispose of 3 Different Types of Waste
Whether you are disposing of clothes, furniture, electronics, or other household items, the first thing to do is to determine if they are still usable. If they are, consider donating each item to a local charity or thrift store instead of disposing of them. This will help you get them out of your home without taking up unnecessary space in a landfill. For items that are unusable or beyond repair, follow the tips below:
As one of the most common items in a home, it is important to know how to properly dispose of electronics. Electronics can be disposed of in the following ways:
- Return the device(s) to a retailer or manufacturer. Most electronics retailers offer recycling programs for the products they sell, allowing you to dispose of a device where you bought it.
- Bring your electronics to an applicable “Return-It” depot. These locations accept electronics in addition to bottles, cans, and cardboard.
- Contact a professional junk removal service to properly dispose of these items for you.
If you have an unusable mattress, couch, table, or other piece of furniture, proper disposal can ensure that it is recycled instead of sitting in a landfill. Furniture can be disposed of in the following ways:
- Bring your old furniture to a zero-waste centre or recycling depot. Certain restrictions may apply for wood and metal furniture, so be sure to ask about these restrictions before transporting each item to the depot.
- Drop your furniture off at a transfer station for sorting and recycling.
- Contact a professional to remove each item and determine the best disposal location(s).
Most large appliances can be dropped off for free at your closest zero-waste centre, allowing you to get rid of each item without sending them to a landfill. Other effective methods include recycling depots and local transfer stations. Please note that items like refrigerators and freezers must be completely emptied prior to recycling.
To learn more about our selection of bin rentals or to inquire about our responsible junk removal services, get in touch with the team at Onestop Disposal. We can be reached through our online contact form or by phone at 604-613-5271 and will be happy to answer any questions you may have.